QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

搜索
楼主: 落梅横笛

[现代诗歌] 香格里拉英译诗歌集【编辑中,请勿跟帖】

[复制链接]
发表于 2015-12-8 21:14:04 | 显示全部楼层

A Girl’s Garden                        女 孩 的 园 地             躬 耕 记

By Robert Frost                                     罗伯特·弗罗斯特                   罗伯特·弗罗斯特

A neighbor of mine in the village                    村子里面有一位邻居             吾村有邻居,

Likes to tell how one spring                        爱讲她是农场姑娘时             喜将往事云。

When she was a girl on the farm, she did              曾经有那么一个春天             春朝居农女,

A childlike thing.                                她做过的孩子气的事             偶萌稚童心。

One day she asked her father                       有一天她请她的父亲             一日请其父,

To give her a garden plot                          给她一块空闲的园地             予以园中畦。

To plant and tend and reap herself,                   自己亲手耕种和收获             耕收亲劳作,

And he said, "Why not?"                          父亲说:“没有问题。”       父应未迟疑。

In casting about for a corner,                     他遍寻园子每个角落             遍寻园之角,   

He thought of an idle bit                           想起墙圈的一块空地             忆隅正闲幽。

Of walled-off ground where a shop had stood,          那里过去曾有个店铺             篱锁店不复,

And he said, "Just it."                            父亲说 :“就是这里。”      恰适女需求。

And he said, "That ought to make you                他说:“这里应该会            父言此方隅,

An ideal one-girl farm                             成为理想的女孩园地            当为中意园。  

And give you a chance to put some strength           还能够给你提供机遇            兼赋尔机会,

On your slim-jim arm."                           赋予你细胳膊以气力。”      健臂去柔纤。

It was not enough of a garden,                      父亲说对于一个农苑             父嘱事田亩,

Her father said, to plough;                         并不是仅耕种就可以            非惟弄耕耘。

So she had to work it all by hand,                     因此她一切亲力亲为            而今已不厌,

But she don't mind now.                           不过现在她都不介意            凡事必躬亲。

She wheeled the dung in the wheelbarrow               沿着延伸而去的道路            肥运延伸路,

Along a stretch of road;                            推着装满粪肥的推车            粪车将我欺。

But she always ran away and left                     她一次又一次地跑开            味恶不堪嗅,

Her not-nice load.                                丢下臭气熏天的粪车            弃频旋走疾。  

And hid from anyone passing.                       她拦住遇到的所有人            乞种心之切,   

And then she begged the seed.                      讨要园子里用的种子            路遇必遥招。

She says she thinks she planted one                   告诉他们除杂草以外            除却荒芜草。

Of all things but weed.                            随便种些什么都可以            所植任妖娆。

A hill each of potatoes,                           结果种了一堆有豌豆            芳树群英会,

Radishes, lettuce, peas,                           小萝卜,番茄,莴苣            瓜萝玛瑙莹。

Tomatoes, beets, beans, pumpkins, corn,               西红柿,甜菜,豆角            春菜映菾薯,

And even fruit trees                              南瓜,玉米甚至果树            豆迎苞谷青。

And yes, she has long mistrusted                    是的,她很久都不信            苑碧生机旺,

That a cider apple tree                            如今那些缀在枝头的            柰酿酒香飘。

In bearing there to-day is hers,                     榨汁的苹果就属于她            久疑今枝俏,

Or at least may be.                              或者至少可能是她的            是否为奴娇。

Her crop was a miscellany                         当该说的说该做的做            所言皆行践,

When all was said and done,                       她种的是作物大汇合            缤纷入眼帘。

A little bit of everything,                          什么庄稼都有上一点            庄稼争荟萃,

A great deal of none.                            又没有一样种的很多            未兼一样繁。

Now when she sees in the village                     现在每次当她在村里            而今视村务,

How village things go,                            视察乡土农事的情况           进展可相宜。

Just when it seems to come in right,                   当看到似乎进展顺利           见似如人意,

She says, "I know!                               她都会说:“我内行!       自言我尽知。

It's as when I was a farmer—                      哦,因为当年我务农—       昔为农家女,

Oh, never by way of advice!"                        从来没有经过人建议。”    何尝凭建言?

And she never sins by telling the tale                  这段经历她从来不会           一人旦闻道,

To the same person twice.                          给同一个人说上两次           不曾说两番。

(香格里拉译)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

文似观山不喜平,为避免诗歌汉译本过于平淡直白,平铺直叙,与《聊天的机会》中“怎为耕劳废畅谈“,和《豌豆藤》中“谁能结对赶着马车及时/拉走压在野花上的树枝“,以及《生之地》中 ”笑堪寻味兮何其所想”一样,翻译本诗时对最后一节第一句的句式进行了调整,由陈述句改为反问句,以期使诗歌句式有所起伏,使该句语气更强,以契合原句 It's as when I was a farmer-- / Oh, never by way of advice! 中的感叹语气(!),突出实践的重要性,使诗歌结语更有力度。

以上均为个性化处理,见仁见智。

发表于 2015-12-14 19:00:40 | 显示全部楼层

A Record Stride                                            记 录 跨 越

By Robert Frost                                                          罗伯特·弗罗斯特

In a Vermont bedroom closet                                        在佛蒙特的一间卧室  

With a door of two broad boards                                      两块宽板的壁橱门里

And for back wall a crumbling old chimney                             在行将倒塌的旧烟囱上

(And that’s what their toes are towards)                                     (前尖竖起)

I have a pair of shoes standing                                            斜倚着一双      

Old rivals of sagging leather                                           皱面衰颜的鞋子

Who once kept surpassing each other                              它们曾踊跃前进争先恐后

But now live even together.                                     而今却共处一室同命相依  

They listen for me in the bedroom                                            悄然等待

To ask me a thing or two                                                   我来评议

About who is too old to go walking                                      谁老迈得无法行走

With too much stress on the who.                                         哪个重负难支   

I wet one last year at Montauk                                           去年在蒙塔克

For a hat I had to save.                                     抢救一顶帽子我灌湿了一只

The other I wet at the Cliff House                                      悬崖屋肆虐的风浪

In an extra-vagant wave.                                             打湿了另外一只  

Two entirely different grandchildren                                    两个截然不同的孙辈

Got me into my double adventure.                                          让我历险两次

But when they grow up and can read this                           但愿他们长大能读这首诗歌

I hope they won’t take it for censure.                                 不要认为这是一种责斥

I touch my tongue to the shoes now                                     如今舔试这双皮鞋

And unless my sense is at fault                                     假如我的舌头没有问题

On one I can taste Atlantic                                      一只散发着大西洋的味道

On the other Pacific, salt.                                       一只洋溢着太平洋的气息

One foot in each great ocean                                          大步的跨越和拓展

Is a record stride or stretch.                                      记录在每个大洋里的鞋子

The authentic shoes it was made in                                   我本该物有所值地拍卖

I should sell for what they would fetch.                              这双制作精良的名牌鞋子

But instead I proudly devote them                                    然而我偏偏骄傲地把它

To my museum and muse;                                      奉献给我的收藏我的文思

So the thick-skins needn’t act thin-skinned                           因此这双跋山涉水的厚皮鞋

About being past-active shoes.                                  不必为过去的奔波脆脸薄皮

And I ask all to try to forgive me                                        人们啊,请原谅我

For being as over-elated                                                 似乎过分得意  

As if I had measured the country                                       仿佛我踏遍了全国

And got the United States stated.                                       仿佛把美利坚诠释

(香格里拉译)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

诗歌倒数第五、六行 So the thick-skins needn’t act thin-skinned / About being past-active shoes中,thick-skin 意为“厚皮的”,该词后+s 作名词复数,代指这双厚皮鞋;thin-skinned 意为“脸皮薄的”,此处该词为双关语,既指厚皮鞋经过艰苦跋涉后磨成薄皮,同时也比喻皮鞋为过四处奔波的经历而感到不好意思。故这两行整体意为:这双厚皮鞋不必因为曾经四处奔波而薄皮

诗歌第三行的 for back wall a crumbling old chimney 为倒装语序,正常顺序是 a crumbling old chimneyfor back wall,本行与第二行的 a door of two broad boards 并列,前接介词 with,作介宾,所构成的介词短语 with a crumbling old chimney for back wall(以一个行将倒塌的旧烟囱为后壁的) 为独立主格结构,作定语,修饰第一行 In a Vermont bedroomcloset 中的 closet。这样 in a Vermont bedroom closet with a crumbling old chimney for back wall 整体意为:在佛蒙特一间卧室里以一个行将倒塌的旧烟囱为后壁的柜橱内。即该壁橱没有后壁板,直接靠在烟囱上。

除上述分析外,本诗虽然包含了其它一些结构稍显复杂的句子,总体而言,理解起来难度不大,故说明从略。

另外,诗歌倒数第四、五行 And I ask all to try to forgive me / For being as over-elated 直译为:请所有人原谅我 / 似乎过分得意。为避免诗歌汉译本过于平铺直叙,使句式有所起伏,将原诗陈述句转译为:人们啊,请原谅我 / 似乎过分得意。

诗中“我”对这双鞋子的感觉,用中国的一句成语形容再恰当不过—敝帚自珍。一句 the authentic shoes it was made in(鞋出名门) 充满了民族骄傲感和自豪感。月是故乡圆,酒是陈酿香,不管东方西方,人皆如此。鞋儿虽旧,意义非凡,值得骄傲,
值得珍藏 … …

个人解读:

诗人以蒙塔克(Montauk)和悬崖屋 (the Cliff House) 这两个分别深入大西洋(Atlantic) 和濒临太平洋(Pacific)的标志性地点代表美国本土东西两端。蒙塔克的代表性建筑是蒙塔克灯塔(Montauk Lighthouse),灯塔之意自不必说,远航者的安全导航;悬崖屋  (the Cliff House) 的象征意义顾名思义,在危险之地落脚栖息。诗中主人公的“我”,作为祖父,为护佑孙辈,东奔西走,纵横跨越,不惜自身安全,涉危历险。诗歌通过此时的“我”穿过的一双旧皮鞋高度赞扬了在美利坚这片土地上,为子孙后代幸福安宁走南闯北,跋山涉水的人们,热情讴歌了为庇护佑萌子孙后代不畏艰险,奔波劳碌的美国先驱和开拓者。

发表于 2015-12-21 17:20:55 | 显示全部楼层

The Exposed Nest   

By Robert Frost

You were forever finding some new play.

So when I saw you down on hands and knees

In the meadow, busy with the new-cut hay,  

Trying, I thought, to set it up on end,

I went to show you how to make it stay,

If that was your idea, against the breeze,

And, if you asked me, even help pretend

To make it root again and grow afresh.

But it was no make-believe with you today,

Nor was the grass itself your real concern,  

Though I found your hand full of wilted fern,

Steel-bright June-grass, and blackening heads of clovers.

It was a nest full of young birds on the ground   

The cutter-bar had just gone champing over  

(Miraculously without tasking flesh)

And left defenseless to the heat and light.

You wanted to restore them to their right

Of something interposed between their sight

And too much world at once--could means be found.

The way the nest-full every time we stirred  

Stood up to us as to a mother-bird

Whose coming home has been to long deferred,

Made me ask would the mother-bird return

And care for them in such a change of scene

And might our meddling make her more afraid.

That was a thing we could not wait to learn.

We saw the risk we took in doing good,

But dared not spare to do the best we could

Though harm should come of it; so built the screen

You had begun, and gave them back their shade.

All this to prove we cared. Why is there then

No more to tell? We turned to other things.

I haven't any memory-—have you?-—

Of ever coming to the place again

To see if the birds lived the first night through,

And so at last to learn to use their wings.

曝 光 的 鸟 巢                                                                   覆   巢

罗伯特·弗罗斯特                                                                      罗伯特·弗罗斯特

你永远不乏新花样,                                                           嗟尔稚龄,新奇频频

因此发现你手膝附地,                                                          手膝据地,委其茵茵

忙着摆弄新割的干草,                                                          拈草新刈,抚之勤勤

猜想你要让它们站起,                                                          揣汝期期,立之欣欣

我起身告诉你怎样插植,                                                         遂临身畔,示驻坪间

假如你想这样,迎风不倒,                                                        尔思切切,迎风犹坚

假如你让我,哪怕是假装,                                                        纵汝求吾,植而依依

帮它们重新扎根恢复生机,                                                        纵汝乞吾,生而萋萋

今天没有一根能装模作样。                                                        利刃今逢,安得芃芃

其实你的心思不在干草,                                                          蕨拥三叶,六月菁菁

虽然目睹你满手焦尖的三叶草,                                                    风恶同摧,顿失亭亭

枯萎的蕨菜夹着晶亮的六月草,                                                    草虽盈握,意非残英

但你关心的是地上绒雏满巢。                                                     鸟雏坠地,实所萦萦

刚才神奇的切割杆无需人力,                                                     风狂谁纵,席卷巢倾

把它轰然卷起,倾覆在地,                                                       岂知嚣嚣,何需人劳

暴露在光天化日之下毫无遮蔽。                                                    毛茸肤嫩,安敌日焦

你急切地想让小鸟,                                                            尔欲援即,跃跃何施

回归原生态隐现适宜,                                                           观察遮蔽,隐现相宜

这种办法可能找到?                                                             求其若渴,为之安得

我们每次触碰鸟巢,                                                             覆巢每触,情兮泽泽

都惊扰一窝雏鸟争相抗议,                                                       犹自咤叱,稚幼啼啼

鸟妈妈久久盘旋难以回巢,                                                       母恨盘旋,归翼迟迟

唤起我叩问她可会回还,                                                        唤吾长问,侬可归及

在如今变化的环境呵护小鸟?                                                     怜儿护女,陌陌而栖         

人们干预可会让她更加惊惶?                                                     父汝所持,或愈惶伊

我们想要知道,刻不容缓。                                                      忧其惴惴,心之何急

发现帮助小鸟的风险,                                                         意出善良,鸟益魂惊

我们不敢倾尽全力,                                                           脉脉难进,未敢横行

担心伤害小鸟,所以你开始                                                       趋利避害,何以相帮

植草结障,还它们一片阴凉。                                                    尔结青障,还其阴凉

我们关爱毕现,可为什么要这样?                                                  关怀毕见,因自何缘

难道再无话可讲?我们还有事要忙。                                               更谈不待,任事无闲

我丝毫不记得—果真忘记—                                                     此作云烟, 岂乃真言

曾经故地重访,                                                             故地重返,殷殷相探

探望初夜小鸟可曾平安,                                                      置新初夜,是否安详

终于学会展翅飞翔?                                                         往昔绒翅,可堪翱翔

(香格里拉译)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

本诗之难不仅在于作品的理解,还包括诗歌拷贝上传及网络传播过程中出现的版本纰误。为寻找正版,遍搜网络,不见原作,最后只能按照个人理解进行勘误。自认所改应该没有问题,如有失误本人自负。
附诗歌粘贴版:

The Exposed Next   

By Robert Frost

You were forever finding some new play.
So when I saw you down on hands and knees
I the meadow, busy with the new-cut hay,
Trying, I thought, to set it up on end,
I went to show you how to make it stay,
If that was your idea, against the breeze,
And, if you asked me, even help pretend
To make it root again and grow afresh.
But 'twas no make-believe with you today,
'Twas a nest full of young birds on the ground
You wanted to restore them to their right
Of something interposed between their sight
And too much world at once--could means be found.
Whose coming home has been too long deferred,
And might out meddling make her more afraid.
That was a thing we could not wait to learn.
All this to prove we cared. Why is there then
No more to tell? We turned to other things.
I haven't any memory-—have you?—

蓝字 1  Next 改为 Nest(巢穴)。意见主贴标题:曝光的鸟巢。
蓝字 2  I 改为 In。In the meadow 意为“在草地里”。
蓝字 3  'twas 改为 it was。But it was no make-believe with you today 意为:但是今天它都无法为你装模作样(假装重新扎根生长)。
蓝字 4  'Twas 改为 It was。It was a nest full of young birds on the ground 意为:(你真正关心的
是)地上栖满幼雏的鸟巢。
蓝字 5  out 改为 our。And might our meddling make her more afraid 意为:我们的干预可能使她更
加害怕。

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

诗歌第一行 You were forever finding some new play 使用的不是普通的过去进行时,be forever / always doing 是表达说话人赞叹,厌烦或责备语气的一种特有结构,意为“永远 / 总是…”。该句表达了诗人对女儿小小年纪却懂得救助小鸟的意外表现的赞叹。意为:你玩耍永远能找到新花样。

诗歌前八行整体上是一句话。第四行的 I thought 是插入语,为便于句子理解,可以将其忽略,本行剩下的 Trying to set it up on end 作的是上一行的 busy 的方式状语。

诗歌第9-12行

But it was no make-believe with you today,  

整体为一句话,意为:可是今天它都无法为你装模作样,尽管我发现你手里握满了枯萎的蕨菜,散发着金属般亮晶晶光泽的六月草和焦尖的三叶草,可是这些草本身并不是你的关注所在。
那么“你”真正关心的是什么呢?紧接着的诗歌第13-16行
It was a nest full of young birds on the ground  
给出了答案。这四行整体为一个句子,其中 It 代指第十行的 your real concern(你真正的牵挂)。

具体分析如下:

It was a nest full of young birds on the ground       (which)       the cutter-bar had just gone

主                              句                                        定                       语     
                                                                     (省略了的关系代词,
                                                                                  代替先行词 a nest,在从
                                                                                  句中作champing 的宾语)

champing over and left defenseless to the heat and light.
                       从                        句

意为:你真正关心的是地上刚刚被切割杆轰鸣而过,毫无保护地暴露在阳光和酷暑下的装满幼雏的鸟巢。

诗歌第20-25行

And might our meddling make her more afraid.

整体是一个复合句。其中 every time we stirred 为时间状语从句,修饰 the nest-full stood up to
us,作该句的时间状语,本应位于该句之前或之后,即:every time we stirred the nest-full stood up to us as to a mother-bird whose coming home has been too long deferred 或 the nest-full stood up to us as to a mother-bird whose coming home has been too long deferred every time we stirred,因 we stirred the nest-full 为定语从句,需紧跟其所修饰的先行词 the way, 故不宜将 every
time we stirred 状语从句放在主句 the nest-full stood up to us as to a mother-bird whose coming home has been too long deferred 之前;另一方面,主句 the nest-full stood up to us as to a mother-bird whose coming home has been too long deferred 中所包含的作状语的介词短语 as toa mother-bird whose coming home has been too long deferred 过长,比该主句中作状语的 every time we stirred 从句还长,如果将同为状语的短语和从句并列,根据语法常规,顺序应为短语+从句。因为本句短语比从句更长,二者如按规则并列,就会显得头重脚轻,即前长后短,故该 every time we stirred 从句也不宜位于句末,因此,将该从句插入到主句的主语 the nest-full 之后。这样,该部分的前四行押相同的尾韵。

The way made me ask would the mother-bird return and care for them in such a change of sceneand might our meddling make her more afraid 为整个复合句的主句。该主句部分又包含了两个省略并倒装的宾语从句,即:would the mother-bird return and care for them in such a change of
scene和 might our meddling make her more afraid,它们的正常形式分别为:if the mother-bird would return and care for them in such a change of scene 和 if our meddling might make her more
afraid,也就是英语中常见的间接引语形式。因诗歌该部分之前之后都有 if 出现,为避免该词使用过频,所以此处省略,将两个从句变为直接引语,即诗中的形式。

上述句子具体分析如下:

as to a mother-bird whose coming home has been too long deferred
介词    介       宾    (定              语)               从                  句
                                             (修饰先行词a mother-bird)         
状                                                                                          语

意为:至于母鸟,长久地被拖延了还家(的时间)。

the nest-full (birds) every time we stirred stood up to us as to a mother-bird whose coming
                              (时间状语从句)                                                                                

home has been too long deferred

意为:我们每一次触碰(鸟窝),满窝的小鸟都起身向我们(抗议),至于母鸟,长久地拖延了
还家(的时间)

The way (that)the nest-full every time we stirred stood up to us as to a mother-bird whose
     主              (定                                      语)                                             从         

(修饰先行词 the way)

coming home has been too long deferred made me ask would the mother-bird return and care
                             句                                                               

for them in such a change of scene and might our meddling make her more afraid.

意为:我们每一次触碰(鸟窝),满窝的小鸟都起身向我们(抗议),至于母鸟,长久地拖延了还家(的时间),这种情况使我叩问鸟妈妈是否会回还,在这样变化的环境中照顾小鸟,以及我们的干预是否会令它更加惊恐。

诗歌倒数第 6--10 行

整体为一个句子。其中第一行 We saw the risk we took in doing good 里 we took in doing good 为定语从句,修饰主句的 the risk,该行意为:我们看到做好事所冒的风险。这里的风险指的是诗歌第20-21行

the nest-full every time we stirred  

中所说的每次触碰鸟窝,雏鸟都竞相起身向我们抗议,以及母鸟盘旋难落,迟迟不能回还的情况。该部分第三行 Though harm should come of it 未让步状语从句,其中的 it 指代的就是第一行中的the risk,此从句意为:尽管危害应该是由我们帮助小鸟的风险造成的。即我们本来想要帮助小鸟,结果却适得其反,进一步干扰和惊吓了雏鸟和母鸟。

诗歌倒数第六行 Why is there then 为省略句,省略了主语 the screen(立草而成的屏障),见诗歌倒数第八行,故本句完整形式应为: Why is there the screen ? 意为:为什么会出现茅障呢?

诗歌最后四行

I haven't any memory--have you?--

整体为一个句子。其中的第一行实际上是个反义疑问句,即:I haven't any memory,have you?该行以下直到诗歌结束都是由 of … 引出的介词短语作后置定语,修饰反义疑问句中的 any
memory,只是定语和中心词之间被反义疑问句的后半部分 have you 隔开。本句意为:我丝毫不记得了,真的不记得了吗?(不记得自己)曾再次回到这个地方,察看小鸟是否安度第一个夜晚,最终学会展翅飞翔?

发表于 2015-12-28 18:21:05 | 显示全部楼层

Brown's Descent                                布 朗 的 败 落

By Robert Frost                                  罗伯特·弗罗斯特

Brown lived at such a lofty farm                  布朗住的农庄那么高

That everyone for miles could see                 冬季时一到三点半钟

His lantern when he did his chores                几英里外人们就看见

In winter after half-past three.                  照耀着他干活的提灯

And many must have seen him make               想必很多人见过夜里

His wild descent from there one night,              他失去控制从那滑下

“Cross lots, cross walls, cross everything”,            人们形容着提灯光环

Describing rings of lantern light.                   一路掠过,田地篱笆

Between the house and barn the gale                就在房子和谷仓中间

Got him by something he had on                   寒风肆虐狂扯他衣衫

And blew him out on the icy crust                  他踉跄跌进冰天雪地

That cased the world, and he was gone!              瞬间消失在茫茫雪原

Walls were all buried, trees were few:               雪埋篱笆,树木稀疏

He saw no stay unless he stove                    脚下溜光根本站不住

A hole in somewhere with his heel.                 真想鞋跟刨出个窟窿

But though repeatedly he strove                    他不断努力蹬腿挥足

And stamped and said things to himself,               跺脚嘴里不停地嘟囔

And sometimes something seemed to yield,             有时好似把什么蹬住

He gained no foothold, but pursued                  人却没站住,继续滑

His journey down from field to field.                  掠过片片良田和沃土

Sometimes he came with arms outspread               他不时空挥两只胳膊

Like wings, revolving in the scene                    如同鸟翅,瘦高身材

Upon his longer axis, and                          在白茫茫雪地里打转

With no small dignity of mien.                      没有一点气度和风采

Faster or slower as he chanced,                    偶尔他变速时快时慢

Sitting or standing as he chose,                    又或坐或站变换姿势

According as he feared to risk                      防止摔断脖颈擦破头

His neck, or thought to spare his clothes,              舍不得蹭坏上衣裤子

He never let the lantern drop.                      他始终没有丢掉提灯

And some exclaimed who saw afar                    远处有些人意外发现

The figures he described with it,                      提灯摇曳连串的身影

“I wonder what those signals are                      不由惊叫:“这夜半

Brown makes at such an hour of night!                 三更布朗发什么信号!

He’s celebrating something strange.                    庆祝啥事儿这么新奇

I wonder if he’s sold his farm,                         难道是把他农庄脱手

Or been made Master of the Grange.”                   还是当上保农社主席?

He reeled, he lurched, he bobbed, he checked;             他东摇西晃步履蹒跚

He fell and made the lantern rattle                       跌倒甩得提灯嘎啦啦

(But saved the light from going out.)                   (可他就是没让灯灭火)

So half-way down he fought the battle                    滑到半路还挺身挣扎

Incredulous of his own bad luck.                       不相信自己运气不佳

And then becoming reconciled                         直到开始心平气和地

To everything, he gave it up                           接受现实,不再挣扎

And came down like a coasting child.                    滑得像个顺从的孩子

“Well—I—be—” that was all he said,                     站在冰封的河道中间

As standing in the river road,                         只说:“嗯,我认了。”

He looked back up the slippery slope                    回首一路滑过的陡坡

(Two miles it was) to his abode.                       距离他住所有两英里

Sometimes as an authority                           作为铁路机动车厢的

On motor-cars, I’m asked if I                          权威,时常有人问我

Should say our stock was petered out,                   我们民族是否已衰落

And this is my sincere reply:                          我如此真诚地回答说:

Yankees are what they always were.                    新英格兰人一如既往

Don’t think Brown ever gave up hope                    不要以为布朗爬不上

Of getting home again because                        那个溜光打滑的陡坡

He couldn’t climb that slippery slope;                    就放弃再回家的希望

Or even thought of standing there                       甚至还打算原地不动

Until the January thaw                               一直等待元月的暖意

Should take the polish off the crust.                      退去大地光滑的冰衣

He bowed with grace to natural law,                      他欣然顺应自然规律

And then went round it on his feet,                        然后象我们先辈一般

After the manner of our stock;                            挺直腰板再绕道回走

Not much concerned for those to whom,                    不用为他们担心这些

At that particular time o’clock,                            在这不同寻常的时候

It must have looked as if the course                        从他出发的那个地方

He steered was really straight away                         遥望他正前进的道路

From that which he was headed for—                      似乎真的笔直又通畅

Not much concerned for them, I say:                       我说,别为他们忧虑

No more so than became a man—                         不过是在异常的关口

And politician at odd seasons.                             变成了男人和政治家

I’ve kept Brown standing in the cold                         我送布朗理智的标签

While I invested him with reasons;                          然而我一直冷冷对他

But now he snapped his eyes three times;                     可是他此刻挤挤眼睛

Then shook his lantern, saying, “Ile’s                         摇摇提灯说:“空炮

Bout out!” and took the long way home                       完了。”他踏上回家

By road, a matter of several miles.                           长路,约几英里之遥

—————————————————————————————————————————

这首诗歌就是以1873年世界范围的经济危机为背景创作的。

冬季里照耀布朗干活的提灯(lantern)象征着保护农民利益的保农社;将布朗卷入冰天雪地的那夜暴
风雪象征着爆发于1873年的美国经济大恐慌;诗歌第三节:
And many must have seen him make
  His wild descent from there one night,
Cross lots, cross walls, cross everything,
  Describing rings of lantern light.
中第三行布朗在暴风雪夜被卷入冰天雪地,并一路下滑时,“(提灯)光环掠过田地,掠过篱笆,一路掠过”象征着经济大恐慌期间保农社为保护农民利益所做出一系列的努力。
(小时候家里有个马灯,每到过年就会点上,挂在院子前面的篱笆上,可是不记得灯光还有光环,为此特地查看了一下网上的马灯图片,也没发现光环。不过无论如何,不影响保农社的光环照耀着美国农民,在他们身处困境时他们带来光明和希望。)

诗歌第11节
Incredulous of his own bad luck.
  And then becoming reconciled
To everything, he gave it up
  And came down like a coasting child.

中的 becoming reconciled to everything 象征着经济大恐慌背景下,农民们通过保农社开展的格兰其运动,在自身利益得到一定保障的基础上,不再继续斗争,使格兰其运动失去了继续前进的动力一历史事实。

诗歌倒数第七节:
Sometimes as an authority
  On motor-cars, I’m asked if I
Should say our stock was petered out,
  And this is my sincere reply:
中的“铁路机动车厢(motor-cars)“ 领域的权威(authority)象征农民通过这场运动,在与
铁路公司展开的运费价格斗争所取得的胜利,尽管这种胜利是短暂的。

————————————————————————————————————————————————

诗歌倒数第五节的第二、三、四行
Don’t think Brown ever gave up hope
Of getting home again because
He couldn’t climb that slippery slope;
和第六节的第一、二、三行
Or even thought of standing there
  Until the January thaw
Should take the polish off the crust.
整体为一个祈使句。具体分析如下:

Don’t think Brown ever gave up hope of getting home again because he couldn’t climb that slippery slope;
                                  宾                            语                           从                           句                   +

or(Brown)even thought of standing there until the January thaw should take the polish off the crust.
                                  宾                            语                           从                           句

意为:不要认为布朗无法爬上光滑的斜坡,就曾放弃再次回家的愿望;或者甚至考虑站在那里一直等到一月的温暖融化地面的冰层。

Brown ever gave up hope of getting home again because he couldn’t climb that slippery slope;
           主                                        句               (原      因       状      语)      从      句

(作主句的原因状语)

or (Brown)even thought of standing there until the January thaw should take the polish off the crust.
                     主                      句                       (时       间        状        语)       从       句
                                                                                         (作主句的时间状语)

意为:布朗无法爬上光滑的斜坡,就曾放弃再次回家的愿望;或者甚至考虑站在那里一直等到一月的温暖融化地面的冰层。

倒数第五节最后一行
He bowed with grace to natural law
与倒数第四、三节
And then went round it on his feet,
  After the manner of our stock;
Not much concerned for those to whom,
  At that particular time o’clock,
It must have looked as if the course
  He steered was really straight away
From that which he was headed for—
  Not much concerned for them, I say:
以及倒数第二节的前两行
No more so than became a man—
  And politician at odd seasons.
整体为一个句子。该句是由中间被分号(;)隔开两个并列句构成。具体分析如下:

He bowed with grace to natural law and then went round it on his feet, after the manner of our stock;

not much concerned for those to whom, at that particular time o’clock, it must have looked as if the

course he steered was really straight away from that which he was headed for— not much concerned

for them, I say: no more so than became a man and politician at odd seasons.

意为:他欣然顺应自然规律,然后象我们的先辈那样,挺直腰板返回去;在那样特殊的时刻,不必多为他们担心,从他出发的那里,远望他前进的道路,看起来线路似乎真是笔直的—不必多为他们担心,我说,(他们)不过是在怪异的时节,成了男人和政治家。

not much concerned for those to whom, at that particular time o’clock, it   must have looked as if the        状                                               语         状                          语    主语    系             词

course he steered was really straight away from that which he was headed for not much concerned
                 表               语                 从                句

for them, I say: no more so than became a man and politician at odd seasons.
                        (对破折号之前的句子作进一步解释说明)

意为:不必多为他们担心,从他出发的那里,远望他前进的道路,看起来线路似乎真是笔直的—不必多为他们担心,我说,(他们)不过是在怪异的时节,成了男人和政治家。

the course he steered was really straight away from that which he was headed for
      主        定语从句                                                     定    语    从    句
              (修饰先行词                                                          (修饰先行词that)
                the course)   

意为:从他出发的那里,远望他前进的道路,看起来线路似乎真是笔直的。

最后感谢聊友N总百忙之中快速准确的网搜,让我这个看惯英语普通话的人在一篇关于弗罗斯特诗歌语言风格的专业文章中认识了意为 oil (奉承话,鬼话,废话) 的美国新英格兰地区方言 ile 一词,特此鸣谢!

发表于 2016-1-4 22:26:27 | 显示全部楼层

Christmas Trees                                         圣  诞  树

By Robert Frost                                            罗伯特·弗罗斯特

(A Christmas Circular Letter)                                   (一封圣诞来函)

The city had withdrawn into itself                                城市没入自我

And left at last the country to the country;                          乡间一路掠过

When between whirls of snow not come to lie                        阵雪飘旋不息

And whirls of foliage not yet laid, there drove                 簇叶拥飞未已,庭院赶来

A stranger to our yard, who looked the city,                     陌生来客,城市模样

Yet did in country fashion in that there                                乡村做派

He sat and waited till he drew us out                        静坐那里一直等到我们

A- buttoning coats to ask him who he was.               打开衣扣严谨的外套问他是谁

He proved to be the city come again                         他再次表明城市光临

To look for something it had left behind                           寻找遗落的东西

And could not do without and keep its Christmas.                 没有它无法筹备圣诞

He asked if I would sell my Christmas trees;              他询问我是否愿意出售圣诞树

My woods—the young fir balsams like a place               我的嘉树—年轻的冷杉宛如

Where houses all are churches and have spires.             房屋,座座都是塔顶的教堂

I hadn’t thought of them as Christmas Trees.                  我从未视它们为圣诞树

I doubt if I was tempted for a moment                       怀疑自己一时受到诱惑

To sell them off their feet to go in cars                    齐根斩断它们装到车上售出

And leave the slope behind the house all bare                  留下房后坡地一片光秃

Where the sun shines now no warmer than the moon.     此时那里阳光仿佛月光没有温暖

I’d hate to have them know it if I was                我不愿它们知晓,倘若果真动摇

Yet more I’d hate to hold my trees except             更不愿固守我的冷杉超出生长期

As others hold theirs or refuse for them,                           拒绝它们接受

Beyond the time of profitable growth,                     所有事物必经的行情检验

The trial by market everything must come to.                       除非别人坚守

I dallied so much with the thought of selling.                   我这般迟疑是否出售

Then whether from mistken courtesy                    然后不管出于不应有的好意

And fear of seeming short of speech, or whether              担心自己不会表达,还是

From hope of hearing good of what was mine,                 希望我的嘉树卖个好价

I said, “There aren’t enough to be worth while.”                   我说:“树不够卖。”

“I could soon tell how many they would cut,                    “一会儿我知道砍多少,

You let me look them over.”                                    你先让我看看树。”

“You could look.                                                  “你可以看,

But don’t expect I’m going to let you have them.”              不过不要指望我会卖给你。”

Pasture they spring in, some in clumps too close       它们矗立在牧场,有些扎堆挤在一处

That lop each other of boughs, but not a few                    相互约束,然而很多

Quite solitary and having equal boughs                     形只影单缀满匀称的青枝

All round and round. The latter he nodded “Yes” to,         环环相托。面对孤杉他点点头

Or paused to say beneath some lovelier one,                    或者停在更美的树下

With a buyer’s moderation, “That would do.”         以买主口气平和地说:“这样就行。”

I thought so too, but wasn’t there to say so.             我也这么想,可在那没有说出

We climbed the pasture on the south, crossed over,        越过南侧牧场,我们一路横穿

And came down on the north.                                     来到北面

He said, “A thousand.”                                    他说:“一千棵。”

“A thousand Christmas trees!—at what apiece?”       “一千棵圣诞树!— 多少钱一棵?”

He felt some need of softening that to me:                     他觉得语气需要和缓:

“A thousand trees would come to thirty dollars.”                  “一千棵三十美元。”

Then I was certain I had never meant                               我再也不想

To let him have them. Never show surprise!                        卖给他。别惊奇

But thirty dollars seemed so small beside           三十美元与这片我要砍光的牧场相比

The extent of pasture I should strip, three cents                显得少得可怜,三美分

(For that was all they figured out apiece),            (那就是他们计算的每棵价钱)

Three cents so small beside the dollar friends          比之美元朋友,三美分少得可怜

I should be writing to within the hour                   不用一小时我就致信他们

Would pay in cities for good trees like those,                        城里能买到

Regular vestry-trees whole Sunday Schools               够整个主日学校祈祷室摆放

Could hang enough on to pick off enough.                  象这样整齐长青的佳树?

A thousand Christmas trees I didn’t know I had!             想不到我有一千棵圣诞树

Worth three cents more to give away than sell,                  值三美分不如赠送

As may be shown by a simple calculation.                      简单计算就能明了

Too bad I couldn’t lay one in a letter                          真糟糕信里装不下

I can’t help wishing I could send you one,                      多希望能送你一棵

In wishing you herewith a Merry Christmas.                     顺便祝你圣诞快乐

(香格里拉译)

——————————————————————————————————————————

The city had withdrawn into itself
And left at last the country to the country;
When between whirls of snow not come to lie
And whirls of foliage not yet laid, there drove
A stranger to our yard, who looked the city,
Yet did in country fashion in that there
He sat and waited till he drew us out
A-buttoning coats to ask him who he was.

以上部分是由两个分号(;)隔开的并列句组成,分号后的 when 为并列连词,意为“就在这个时候”。具体结构分析如下:

The city had withdrawn into itself and left at last the country to the country; when between whirls

of snow not come to lie and whirls of foliage not yet laid, there drove a stranger to our yard, who
            (地           点)              状               语
                         (修饰其后句子中的谓语 drove)

looked the city, yet did in country fashion in that there he sat and waited till he drew us out

a-buttoning coats to ask him who he was.

意为:城市撤进自己内部,终于在乡间一路穿过;就在这个时候,在飞旋未落的雪花和簇叶之间,庭院赶来一位陌生来客,城市的神情,却一副乡村做派,因为他坐在那里一直等到我们打开衣扣严谨的外套问他是谁。

there drove a stranger to our yard, who looked the city, yet did in country fashion in that there he sat
           主                    句                                 (定                                       语)
                                                                                     (修饰主句的主语

and waited till he drew us out a-buttoning coats to ask him who he was
                          从                                       句
                                         a stranger)

意为:在飞旋未落的雪花和簇叶之间,庭院赶来一位陌生来客,城市的神情,却一副乡村做派,因为他坐在那里一直等到我们打开衣扣严谨的外套问他是谁。

who looked the city, yet did in country fashion in that there he sat and waited till he drew us out
                  主                         句                           (原          因          状          语)
   (did为代动词,代替之前的looked,避免该词重复)

a-buttoning coats to ask him who he was
            从                         句

意为:他城市的神情,却一副乡村做派,因为他坐在那里一直等到我们打开衣扣严谨的外套问他是谁。

there he sat and waited till he drew us out a-buttoning coats to ask him who he was
        主            句                (时         间          状         语)        从         句

意为:他坐在那里一直等到我们打开衣扣严谨的外套问他是谁。

he drew us out a-buttoning coats to ask him who he was
            主                                 句          (宾语)从句

意为:他引我们打开衣扣严谨的外套问他是谁。

He asked if I would sell my Christmas trees;
My woods—the young fir balsams like a place
Where houses all are churches and have spires.

此处是由分号(;)隔开的两部分构成,只是分号之前是完整的句子,分号后非句子,中心词为名词短语。具体分析如下:

He asked if I would sell my Christmas trees; my woodsthe young fir balsams like a place
主    句            宾     语     从     句                                     (对其前的my woods

where houses all are churches and have spires.
                 作进一步的解释说明)

意为:他问我是否愿意卖圣诞树;我的树木—(我的)安慰,年轻的冷杉就像象一个房子都是塔顶
教堂的地方。

the young fir balsams like a place where houses all are churches and have spires.
      中     心     词                (介词短语作定语,修饰其前名词 balsams)

Like a place where houses all are churches and have spires
介词  介 宾           定           语            从            句
                                  (修饰其前先行词 a place)

意为:象一个房子都是塔顶教堂的地方。

I’d hate to have them know it if I was.

本句为省略句,句尾省略了其前句子中的

tempted for a moment
To sell them off their feet to go in cars
And leave the slope behind the house all bare,
Where the sun shines now no warmer than the moon

因此该句完整意思应为:假如我受到一时诱惑,把它们齐根砍断装到车上卖掉,留下房后那片坡地一片光秃的话,我不愿让它们知道。

Yet more I’d hate to hold my trees except
As others hold theirs or refuse for them,
Beyond the time of profitable growth,
The trial by market everything must come to.
这四行整体为一个句子。其中最后一行是第二行中的 refus e的宾语,本应位于其后,因为 refuse 的宾语 The trial by market everything must come to 比本应位于句末的状语 for them 还长,故将短的状语提前到长的宾语之前,如上所示。本部分具体分析如下:

Yet more I’d hate to hold my trees except as others hold theirs or refuse for them, beyond the time of

(介词短语作状语,修饰其前句子)
profitable growth, the trial by market everything must come to.

意为:然而我更不愿固守我的树木超出生长期,拒绝它们接受所有事物必经的行情检验,除非别人固守他们的(树木,超出生长期,拒绝它们接受所有事物必经的行情检验)。

except as others hold theirs or refuse for them, beyond the time of profitable growth, the trial by market
介词                           宾                         语                          从                            句
                                                                            (作其前介词 except的宾语)

everything must come to.

意为:除非当别人固守他们的(树木,超出生长期,拒绝它们接受所有事物必经的行情检验)时。

others hold theirs or refuse for them, beyond the time of profitable growth, the trial by market
主语  谓语  宾语       谓语     状语                状                      语                        
                                                                                                                (作前动词
everything must come to

refuse 的宾语)

意为:别人固守他们的树木,超出生长期,拒绝它们接受所有事物必经的行情检验。

the trial           by market            everything must come to
中心词                定 语                     定    语    从    句
          (介词短语作定语修饰 the trial)    (修饰先行词 the trial)

意为:所有事物必经的行情检验。

——————————————————————————————————————————————

But thirty dollars seemed so small beside
The extent of pasture I should strip, three cents
(For that was all they figured out apiece),
Three cents so small beside the dollar friends
I should be writing to within the hour
Would pay in cities for good trees like those,
Regular vestry-trees whole Sunday Schools
Could hang enough on to pick off enough.

以上整体为一个句子。具体分析如下:

But thirty dollars seemed so small beside the extent of pasture I should strip, three cents,
        主      语    系动词      表语             状                               语
three cents so small beside the dollar friends I should be writing to within the hour
                               进                       一                         步
would pay in cities for good trees like those, regular vestry-trees whole Sunday Schools
                                           强                        调
could hang enough on to pick off enough.

意为:与这片我要砍光的牧场相比,三十美元显得那么少;三美分,与那些美元朋友们相比,三美分那么少,我要一小时内给他们写信:城里能买到象这样够整个主日学校祈祷室摆放的整齐长青的好树吗?

three cents ( is ) so small beside the dollar friends             (who)         I should be writing to
                                                                          (代替 the dollarfriends
                                                                                       在定语从句中作介词 to 的宾语)

主语        系词      表语  介 词      
介         宾

within an hour (to ask if they ) would pay in cities for good trees like those, regular vestry-trees

定                             语                                   从                                  句
                                                             (修饰先行词the dollar friends)

whole Sunday Schools could hang enough on to pick off enough.

意为:与那些美元朋友们相比,三美分少的可怜,我要一小时内给他们写信:城里能买到象这样够整个主日学校祈祷室摆放的整齐长青的好树吗?

Like         those,       regular vestry-trees           (which)     whole Sunday Schools could hang  
                                                            (代替 regular vestry-trees
                                                                      vestry-trees 在从句中作动宾)
介词         宾语            同     位     语                     定                                              语
     (作介词 like 的宾语)(作 those 的同位语)

enough on to pick off enough.

从                            句

意为:象这样够整个主日学校祈祷室摆放的整齐长青的好树吗?

Worth three cents more to give away than sell,
As may be shown by a simple calculation.

这是一个省略的复合句,完整形式相当于:(It is)more to give away than sell if each Christmas tree is worth three cents, as may be shown by a simple calculation。具体分析如下:

It is more to give away than sell if each Christmas tree is worth three cents,             as              

(关系代词,代替其前
                                                                                                                                       主句,在从句中作主语)
              主                                                                   句                        
(非限定性)

may be shown by a simple calculation.

定         语          从          句

意为:正如通过简单计算就可以显示的那样,如果每棵圣诞树(仅)值三美分,与其出售,不如赠送。

It is more to give away than sell if each Christmas tree is worth three cents
        主                       句                  (条   件   状   语)   从   句

意为:如果每棵圣诞树(仅)值三美分,与其出售,不如赠送。

Too bad I couldn’t lay one in a letter.

这也是个省略句,完整形式为:It is too bad (that) I couldn’t lay one in a letter。具体分析如下:

It              is   too bad (that) I couldn’t lay one in a letter.
          主语          系词     表语       主        语        从        句   
(代替后面主语从句,
在主句中作形式主语)

意为:我不能在信里放进一棵真是太糟糕了。

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

个人解读:

The city had withdrawn into itself 一语双关。一方面指书信装入信封;另一方面,“城市撤进自己内部”,暗示随着经济和社会的发展,城市已经游离于于乡村之外,成为独立的个体,传统信仰逐渐淡薄。

And left at last the country to the country;When between whirls of snow not come to lieAnd whirls of foliage not yet laid, there drove象征众多信件在乡间一路传递,如雪片落叶般在空中飞旋,尚未到达目的地。

A stranger to our yard, who looked the city,
Yet did in country fashion in that there
He sat and waited till he drew us out
A-buttoning coats to ask him who he was.
A stranger 代指提出购买圣诞树的来函,信封上的寄信地址表明信件来自于城市,静静地放在那
里等人拆阅。A-buttoning coats 代指信封。其中的 a-buttoning 即 buttoning,a-为前缀,表示动作正在进行。He proved to be the city come again 中的 he 为封信函拟人化的称谓,其内容再次证明是城市来函。

My woods—the young fir balsams like a place
Where houses all are churches and have spires.
I hadn’t thought of them as Christmas Trees.
本句直接点出冷杉在“我”心中的地位:不是普通的树木,也不是圣诞树,是房屋,是塔顶的
教堂,是“我”的精神栖息地和庇护所。

I’d hate to have them know it if I was.
Yet more I’d hate to hold my trees except
As others hold theirs or refuse for them,
Beyond the time of profitable growth,
The trial by market everything must come to.
I dallied so much with the thought of selling.
此处为诗歌的点题之语。 一方面,“我”不愿让象征着信仰的冷杉知道“我”面对诱惑产生动摇;
另一方面,更不愿固守它们直到超出正常的生长期,除非别人坚守。表明诗人的宗教历史观:宗教与其它任何事物一样,也具有成长发展变化的过程,需要与时俱进,它与其它任何事物一样,都要接受时代的检验。

这里的“我”虽然十分不愿固守自己的树木超出正常的生长期,从而拒绝接受时代的检验,但另一
方面,“我”又无法自行其是,随心所欲,在“我更不愿固守…”后有 except as others hold theirs or refuse for them 的条件和限制,即“除非别人固守”。这就意味着,别人放弃固守我才能放弃,如果别人固守,“我”也要坚持。因此 I dallied so much with the thought of selling,“我对卖树的想法如此迟疑", 犹豫,踌躇,徘徊在传统信仰与时代考验之间。而“我”不得不从众的原因在诗歌的下列部分可以找到答案:

Pasture they spring in, some in clumps too close
That lop each other of boughs, but not a few
Quite solitary and having equal boughs
All round and round. The latter he nodded “Yes” to,
Or paused to say beneath some lovelier one,
With a buyer’s moderation, “That would do.”
I thought so too, but wasn’t there to say so.

这一段首先对诗歌的首句进行了诠释。

该部分意为:它们矗立在牧场上,一些丛生,那么拥挤,彼此剪枝。但更多相当孤独,长着匀称
的树枝,环环相托。他对孤树点点头,或站在某棵更美丽的树下,以买主温和的口气说“那就行。”我也是这样想,但是在那儿没说。

丛生的冷杉象征着乡村的信众,它们“距离太近,相互剪枝”,表明他们生活在一起,彼此影响,
相互制约,这也是 "我“在别人固守他们的树木时自己不得不坚守的原因所在。而来自城市的买主选择孤木—这一城市的象征,它相当孤独,但却更美,这也是“我”的感觉,只因受所处环境—乡村的制约,不宜公开表达自己对城市的倾向。

We climbed the pasture on the south, crossed over,
And came down on the north.
冷杉为喜阴树种,多生长于北坡。买主为了查看可以买多少棵树,一路从牧场的南面走到北端,
边走边数。

three cents
(For that was all they figured out apiece),
Three cents so small beside the dollar friends

买主给每棵圣诞树定价三美分,暗示信仰在城市的淡薄。这里,诗人在提到有钱的城里人时,
没有使用常见的 the rich friends 或 the wealthy friends,"富有的朋友",而采用了 the dollar friends,"美元朋友" ,这与他们每棵三美分的出价形成了鲜明的对比,产生了强烈的反差效果,进一步阐明信仰在城市地位的衰退。另一方面,以 friends,“朋友”, 称呼城里人,进一步强化了“我”对城市的倾向性,与诗歌之前的I think so too,“我也是这么想”前后呼应。

Regular vestry-trees whole Sunday Schools
Could hang enough on to pick off enough.
因为 Sunday Schools,“主日学校 ”,属于宗教学校,因此会有 vestry,“祈祷室”。自此,
象征信仰的圣诞树再次与宗教直接联系起来。

Worth three cents more to give away than sell因为主日学校是针对贫民开办的,因此这里提到 give away,“赠送”。

总之,诗歌讲述了一封由城市寄往乡村的书信,信中提出购买一千棵圣诞树。诗人根据书信内容刻画了虚拟出场的买主形象,并以细腻的笔触描写了作为卖主的“我”一系列细腻的心理活动和感受,以此阐述自己的宗教历史观,宗教与其它任何事物一样,也具有成长发展和变化的过程,需要与时俱进,它与其它任何事物一样,都要接受时代的检验。随着时代的变迁,宗教,这一人们的精神支柱不可避免地受到社会进步和经济发展的冲击。从十九世纪跨越到二十世纪,历经人生八十多个春秋的弗罗斯特无疑感受到这一变化,美国文学评论家杰伊•帕瑞尼在弗罗斯特生平与创作评传中说:“虽然弗罗斯特是一个在精神方面有着很强意识的人,并且在谈到传统宗教时总是说得很好,然而他本人并非是一个有着传统信仰的人。”

正如弗氏研究者所言,弗罗斯特的宗教观是面向现实人生的宗教观。弗罗斯特的眼光不投向天国, 而投向现实人生。他认为,人应该努力主宰自己的命运而不应该将自己的命运寄托在上帝身上, 不应该奢望上帝在人间实施公正与仁慈。弗罗斯特面向现实人生的宗教观并不意味着他真的反对基督教, 他反对的
是不分是非、不辨善恶、盲目、迷信地进行偶像崇拜, 反对不关注现实人生而关注虚无缥缈的天国。这其实是对宗教意义真正的了解和认知。

弗罗斯特一生曾四获普利策奖,作为美国文学史上的一位著名诗人,其作品就内容而言,以思想性和哲理性见长,而就形式而言,音韵美是其诗歌的重要特征,这也是他在有生之年的诗歌创作过程中一再强调,十分重视的一点。他在写给朋友的信中就说:“我一直有意使自己从我也许会称为‘意义声调’的那种东西中去获取音乐性 …… 对意义声调的敏感和热爱是一个作家的先决条件”, “声调是诗中最富于变化的部分,同时也是最重要的部分。没有声调语言会失去活力,诗也会失去生命”。

而与此形成鲜明对比的是,这首《圣诞树》却是一首无韵自由体诗,这在弗罗斯特的诗歌中是难得一见的,
私下以为,诗人之所以在这首诗歌的创作中舍弃了他一生钟爱和坚持的传统韵律诗形式,不受传统的韵律束缚,以新颖的无韵自由体诗歌形式表达他的宗教发展观,也有其不保守,不拘泥于传统思想,与时俱进,善于接受新事物,吸纳新思想的用意,就此意义而言,这首诗歌可以说达到了形式与内容的和谐统一,形烘托了主题,二者可谓相得益彰。

以上仅为个人浅见,见仁见智。

发表于 2016-1-27 14:45:30 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 沐暮 于 2016-1-27 14:56 编辑

Desert Places                              荒 野

By Robert Frost                                           罗伯特•弗罗斯特

Snow falling and night falling fast, oh, fast               凝望雪落夜迅疾,哦,迅疾
                   In a field I looked into going past,                          降临在我途经的田地
         And the ground almost covered smooth in snow,              积雪弥漫几乎平覆地面
             But a few weeds and stubble showing last.                  只露几根茬草依稀伫立

The woods around it have it—it is theirs.                 它属于周围树林—林之地
                All animals are smothered in their lairs.                       动物全部闷在窝里
                   I am too absent-spirited to count;                        我如此没精打采无心数
                The loneliness includes me unawares.                     不知不觉寂寞把我吞噬

And lonely as it is, that loneliness                             田野孤独,这孤独
               Will be more lonely ere it will be less—                     没有消减反而更加孤独
             A blanker whiteness of benighted snow                      夜色渐浓白雪越发苍茫
             With no expression, nothing to express.                       毫无表情,无所倾吐

They cannot scare me with their empty spaces                     我不畏惧星际空虚
     Between stars—on stars where no human race is.                 星星上没有人生旅途
              I have it in me so much nearer home                        怕只怕心灵家园这般近
         To scare myself with my own desert places.                        我内心一片荒芜

荒 野                                   荒 野

罗伯特·弗罗斯特                                                          罗伯特·弗罗斯特

雪临夜继匆匆至,                                            羽夜匆匆至,
                            注目凝眸路过时。                                            凝眸路过时。
                            几欲皑皑平地尽,                                            雪畴平欲尽,

但余茬草弄依稀。                                            茬草弄依稀。

周遭树木环田处,                                            树木环田处,

巢掩生息俱滞伏。                                            生息滞穴伏。
                            我困恹恹无意计,                                            恹恹谁计数,

浑然不省任孤独。                                            未省陷孤独。

萧畦旷野沉清寂,                                             野地寂何如,
                           未遣孤情反更执。                                             靡销更见孤。
                           暗夜弥深茫映雪,                                             夜深茫映雪,
                           安得神色话灵思。                                             只语片容无。

空廖星际何堪惧,                                             星际任空虚,

履历谁人可踏足。                                             谁人可踏足。
                           最恨心家惟咫尺,                                             惟嗟心咫尺,
                           清魂寂寂锁荒芜。                                             落寞锁荒芜。

荒 野                                     荒 野

罗伯特·弗罗斯特                                                             罗伯特·弗罗斯特

雪花飘落暗夜匆匆而至                                      雪垂夜幕,何其速兮。
                      途经田地我在举目凝视                                      途经垄亩,引瞩目兮。

积雪弥漫几乎平覆地面                                      畴平地覆,几欲尽兮。
                      只有残茬杂草依稀伫立                                      草杂根枯,零落伫兮。

周遭树林环绕野地荒畦                                      周遭林立,环拥畦兮。
                      所有动物蛰伏闷在窝里                                      掩穴生息,俱蛰栖兮。
                      这般没精打采我无心数                                      恹恹困意,计无由兮。
                      不知不觉寂寞将我吞噬                                      落寞渐噬,浑不知兮。  

萧畴旷野陷入清寂虚无                                      野地荒田,困孑然兮。
                      落寞未减反而更加孤独                                      郁郁未谴,弥孤单兮。   
                      夜色渐浓白雪越发苍茫                                      雪衬夜染,愈苍茫兮。
                      没有一丝表情一语倾吐                                      漠漠容颜,悄无言兮。

我不畏惧星际间的空虚                                      空虚星际,何足惧兮。   

星星上哪里有人生旅途                                      云汉殊异,绝人迹兮。
                      只怕心田如此近在咫尺                                      惟恨心居,咫尺距兮。

我的内心一片寂寞荒芜                                      清魂寂寂,荒芜欺兮。

摸 鱼 儿

雪夜经田
罗伯特·弗罗斯特

玉尘临、速泼冥晦,途中犹自凝注。
皑皑几欲平畴尽,惟任草茬零伫。
林木矗,
但环笼、野畦荒地萧条驻。
生息巢覆。
我意困恹恹,何由计数?未省惹孤绪。

芜凉地,落寞难销更剧,
弥茫白雪浓幕。
苍容漠漠闲神色,岂作一声倾诉?
云汉处,
试问那、空虚星际孰堪惧?
谁人漫步?
怕只怕今生,心灵咫尺,魂寂锁荒误。

(香格里拉译)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

这是一首借物抒情诗。诗歌虽然篇幅不长,只有四节,但理解起来,每节都有难点,详情如下:

第一节:
Snow falling and night falling fast, oh, fast
In a field I looked into going past,
And the ground almost covered smooth in snow,
But a few weeds and stubble showing last.
本节整体为一个句子,为示强调以及押韵等原因,句子部分倒装。正常语序及句子结构分析如下:

When going past,  I   looked into snow falling and night falling fast, oh, fast in a field
(时间)状语       主语     谓 语     宾语            定                                    语
(表示句子谓语                                                                          (修饰其前的snow)
looked into,表该                                                      
动作进行的时间)

And the ground almost covered smooth in snow, but a few weeds and stubble showing last.
         宾    语         定                           语                 宾    语                          定     语
                              (修饰其前的the ground)                                                     (修饰其前的
                                                                                                                                          a few weeds
                                                                                                                                            and stubble)

意为:路过一块田地的时候,我凝视着匆匆,哦,匆匆落在上面的雪,地面几乎被雪覆平,只露几根杂草和(庄稼)茬。

第二节:
The woods around it have it--it is theirs.
All animals are smothered in their lairs.
I am too absent-spirited to count;
The loneliness includes me unawares.
此节第一行中三个it均指代的是第一节第二行中的 a field (一块田地)。本句意为:它(这块田地)属于周围的树林—林之地。

第三节:
And lonely as it is that loneliness
Will be more lonely ere it will be less--
A blanker whiteness of benighted snow
With no expression, nothing to express.
根据本节第一行 lonely as it is的结构,判断其中的 as 为连词(conj), “虽然”,“尽管”之意。此含义的 as 引出的是让步状语从句,需要倒装,具体用法如下:
1)        表语 + 主语 + 系动词,主句;
2)        状语 + 主语 + 谓语 …, 主句;
3)        主要谓语动词 + 主语 + 助动词/情态动词 …, 主句。
根据上述三种结构判断,诗中句子属于第一种情况,即表语前置。因为本句意为:虽然它(这块田地)是孤独的,(但是)孤独没有减轻反而加重了。

第四节:
They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars--on stars where no human race is.
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.
此节第三行中的it 与第二、三节中的it相同,均代指第一节中的 a field (田地),只是本节由前三节的写景过渡到该节写人,因此it 一词便由前两行的“田地”过渡为本节人的“心田”—心灵,即本节第三行的 so much nearer home(如此近得多的家园)。该句具体分析如下:
   I   have so much nearer home (than stars) to scare myself with my own desert places    in me.
                             it
主语 谓语     宾                语    (比较)状语     定                                            语   (地点)状语
                                             (修饰 so much
                                                        nearer home)

意为:我内心有与星星相比,如此近得多的家园,(可这片)我自己的荒芜之地(却)使我感到恐惧。本节第二行 on stars where no human race is 中 race 意为“人生的历程”,这与第一节第二行的 going past, “途经”之意相呼应。
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

关于诗歌意象:
环绕田地的“树林”(the woods around it)象征着“我”。被树林环绕的“田地”( field )象征着“我”的“心田”—心灵。覆盖田地的“毫无表情,无所表达”(with no expression, nothing to express) 的“雪”象征“我”心灵的空虚。随雪匆匆而降,笼罩田地的“黑夜”(night) 象征充斥我心灵的黑暗情绪—孤独。

被雪覆盖,闷在窝里的“所有动物”(all animals)象征“我”内心的生机都因为心灵的空虚而失去活力。在几乎被雪覆平的田地里依稀伫立的“几根杂草和(庄稼)茬”(a few weeds and stubble)象征“我”心灵的荒凉。这里诗人没有用常见的表示“草”意的中性词 grass. 代之准确地使用了 weeds(杂草);并且与之并列使用了 stubble,“(庄稼收割后余留的)茬”。以上二词的使用表明心田应该生长的庄稼只剩下枯根残茬,代之生长的是荒芜的杂草。总之,这两个词的使用可谓精到传神,意味深长。

本诗创作于1936年。二十世纪三十年代,诗人的家庭连遭不幸,妹妹、女儿、妻子和儿子相继离世,给他的精神带来巨大的打击。因此,这一时期诗人创作了一系列表达内心孤独和灰暗情绪的作品,这首《荒野》就是其中之一。

发表于 2016-4-14 16:02:56 | 显示全部楼层
香格里拉——梦中的天堂
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|心灵家园 ( 粤ICP备2022134291号-1 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-2 14:30 , Processed in 0.048729 second(s), 25 queries .